Friday, May 21, 2010

Veracity Questioned...

The Daleville Inn aka "The Menopause Manor" is located in the small community of Daleville Alabama just outside one of the gates to Fort Rucker the home of Army Aviation.

The lounge at the Daleville Inn was a popular recreational stop off post for some after hours adult interaction and beverages. It usually had a band that regularly played the song in this youtube video:

The band played other songs, but "Like a Fox on the Run" is the one I remember and seemed to be their signature song.

The Menopause Manor was the nickname given to the lounge due to the perceived age of most of its female clientele. They weren't all old...
Dave in Korea
I was in the lounge early one night when I met a young girl close to my age. I was either 21 or 22 at the time and fairly fresh out of Korea where I had stayed long enough to turn 21 and make CW2.

We struck up a conversation by the bar. She soon asked me what I did. This was a rare question since I usually hung with people who knew. I responded, "I'm a CW2 Instructor Pilot out at Lowe Field".

She said, "No you arn't!"

That caught me a little bit by surprise and I didn't want to argue with her so I said, "Okay. I'm an E5 and I drive a Colonel around in a jeep".

She said, "No you don't!"

I said, "Okay, I'm a PFC bus driver".

She seemed happy with that answer, so we chatted for about another 15 or 20 minutes before another girl that knew both of us showed up.

The two girls said their hello's first, then the new arrival turned to tell me hello. When the girl I had just met realized that her friend also knew me she told her, "You know what he tried to tell me?"

The girl that knew us both said, "What?"

My newest acquaintance said, "He tried to tell me he was a CW2 Instructor Pilot out at Lowe Field."

The girl that knew me looked at her and said, "Well, he is!"

The girl I had just met then looked at me hard and said, "You've been lying to me!"

I looked at her and said, "Well, I tried to tell you the truth. You didn't want to believe that, so I told you something you did believe."

1 comment: